Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Casey’s Paper Reflection
                The initial thing that stuck out for me was just how relatable this article is. I found myself continually quietly snickering and thinking in my head, “Yeah, me too.” I think anyone who has a smartphone can relate to Casey’s paper even if maybe it’s a person who does not often use their phone. Another aspect that I liked is that because it is so personable the paper very enjoyable to read.  While these are all good things I felt that it was so personable as to take away from the research part a little bit. The narrative is very good but I don’t feel as though I’ve learned much from it. The quote about people gaining emotional attachments to their phones was something that I did learn, but I feel as though the rest of the information is commonly known. Another thing is that I felt the paper had no conclusion. This may be that Casey is still performing her experiment, but I still feel as though there should be more to it. Overall the paper is good and other than adding more research, expanding on it a little bit more and adding more to the conclusion I would not change anything.

Kelly’s Paper Reflection

                What I really liked about Kelly’s paper is how balanced it is. There is a good amount of information without it be overwhelming. While sometimes the transitions are abrupt I still find that the paper doesn’t get boring because there is not too much time spent on one narrative or piece of research. I also liked Kelly’s conclusion, it built up with the paragraph before by talking about the terrible day that Kelly had had and then was defused and ended on a happy note. The last thing I liked is the research itself. It was often very interesting to me because I can associate with social media and it is interesting to learn more about its functions and how it has affected society. As I already mentioned the transitions could use some work. The paper jumps from research to narrative and leaves me wondering how one has to do with the other. This is a problem, but there are only a few places where I found this, it is mostly very well written. Another problem I had is that the intro seems to set up a different paper it starts out very broad and stays broad, but never transitions into lower, it just kind of jumps in.

No comments:

Post a Comment